It is the mission of the UIC Environment Health and Safety Office (EHSO) to promote and ensure a safe and healthy environment in order to support the academic and administrative functions of the university.
- EHSO aims to provide services in the areas of hazardous waste management, biological safety, occupational safety, fire safety, laboratory safety, laser safety and radiation safety.
- EHSO safety professionals aim to provide high quality training courses to faculty, staff, visitors and students to ensure safe work practices that can be integrated into the academic and administrative pursuits of the university.
We are dedicated to reducing injuries, accidents and negative environmental impacts, and supporting University administration to ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and standards. We aim to provide comprehensive workplace evaluations and emergency response to ensure that students, faculty and staff are not in danger of potential health hazards.
Our overall goal is to provide guidance to students, staff and faculty of UIC community to minimize:
- Chemical, physical and biological risk
- Work related injuries and illnesses
- Negative environmental impacts